Friday 19 May 2017

Principal with an Ostomy bag

Elementary teacher for 3 years, high school guidance counselor for 5 years, assistant principal for 4 years to principle for 8 years.  What a ride it has been.  Like Dr. Suess says, “ Oh the places we will go”.  Speaking of places, I have been in a total of 5 different schools through out my educational career thus far, and I have no doubt that there is a school or two more in my future.  

When my career in education started, I was not your typical teacher.  I had suffered a tragic car accident when I was 20 years old.  I had a head on collision with a car larger than mine, and I incurred a broken leg, broken arm, multiple lacerations, and a colostomy bag.  I was a mess and initially wasn’t given a high chance of survival.  I endured a tremendous amount of emotional and physical scars that changed a lot about me.  



Surgery was extremely extensive and took almost 10 hours.  I had a rod placed in my leg where my femur use to be, screw in my elbow to help secure my broken arm, and a colostomy bag was put in place to help with the ruptured colon I had endured in that accident.  Several other surgeries had to occur as well.  The physical therapy for the broken bones was nothing in comparison to the maintenance, hygiene details, and overall care that were associated with the colostomy bag.  Pain was also quite a contender and hard to get under control for some time.  I was completely overwhelmed with the care I needed to get back into shape and to continue with my education goals.  It took an incredible amount of time, to say the least, but eventually I have healed very well from the trauma my body endured.  The scars have faded but the lessons learned will be permanent.  


Today life looks complete different.  I as a person am different in so many aspects as well.  I have not let my limitations stand in the way of the goals that I had set academically and professionally so long again, and the ones I have for my future.  I would be remised if I didn’t say that the colostomy bag has been the biggest obstacle that I have had to face thus far, but It hasn’t been difficult in my teaching and administrative roles.  I have had to examine and make many adjustments in my schedules to say the least, but I don’t think anything will hinder the determined mindset I have.  Of course, I couldn’t have done any of this without the amazing physicians, teachers, family, and administrative staff that I have come in contact with over the years.  


It is very easy to get caught up in what is happening to us personally, but I feel like because of my injuries that I sustained from the car accident, specifically the addition of the colostomy bag, I have a new determination and outlook on life.  It is short and can be gone in the blink of an eye.  I have tried to bring that attitude into the Education world I find myself surrounded in, and I believe that I will continue to be used to help teach others about adversity and strength.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Guide To Using Ostomy Filter Stickers

Filter stickers are usually included in the boxes of filtered ostomy pouches. These stickers are round-shaped with tabs on one side. They ar...